How to explain Anxiety to a Therapist?


For some people, it can be difficult to open up about anxiety, especially when seeking help from a therapist. Many of us have difficulty explaining our anxiety, often struggling to find the appropriate words to convey a precise picture. In this article, we will look at a strategy for communicating your anxiety to a therapist from recognizing the details of anxiety to preparing yourself for the conversation.

Here are some tips to explain anxiety to your therapist:

1. Get clear on your anxiety: What does it feel like for you? What are your physical symptoms? What are your thoughts and worries? When and where do you feel anxious?

2. Describe your experience with specific details: Don't just say, "I feel anxious." Instead, say, "I feel like my heart is racing and my palms are sweaty." Or, "I worry all the time about making mistakes." Or, "I feel anxious when I'm in social situations."

3. List your specific triggers: What are the things that typically make you feel anxious? It could be certain situations, people, or activities.

4. Explain how you feel after an anxiety-provoking situation: Do you feel drained, exhausted, or overwhelmed? Do you have trouble sleeping or concentrating?

5. Provide examples from your life: The more specific you can be, the better your anxiety therapist will be able to understand your experience.

You can also bring a list of questions to your therapy session to help you talk about your anxiety. Here are some examples:

1. What is causing my anxiety?

2. What are some different types of anxiety disorders?

3. What are the treatment options for anxiety?

4. What can I do to manage my anxiety on my own?

It's important to remember that you don't have to have all the answers before you start therapy. Your therapist is there to help you understand your anxiety and develop a treatment plan that works for you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Relationship Problems That Can Be Solved With Relationship Issues Therapy!

Online PTSD Therapy: What You Need to Know